What is Jazz Appreciation Month?
Jazz Appreciation Month (fondly known as “JAM”) was created at the Smithsonian Museum in 2002 to herald and celebrate the extraordinary heritage and history of jazz for the entire month of April.
JAM is intended to stimulate and encourage people of all ages to participate in jazz – to study the music, attend concerts, listen to jazz on radio and recordings, read books about jazz, and more.
Question: As a jazz fan what can I do this month and all year to celebrate and spread the word about jazz?
Here are some suggestions:
- Attend a jazz concert at a local concert hall, performing arts organization, church, school, college, or jazz society
- Follow your favorite musicians or groups on social media
- Seek out new jazz music, musicians, and albums
- Share your favorite music, musicians, or new finds with friends and peers
- Read a biography about one of your favorite jazz musicians, jazz poetry, or other jazz book – fiction or nonfiction
- Tune into a local jazz radio station or online radio station or playlist
- Make a pilgrimage to your favorite jazz city, jazz museum, or to a musician’s birthplace or gravesite
- Watch a jazz documentary, film, or performance
- Subscribe to a jazz magazine or other publication online or in print
- Host jazz listening sessions
- Hold a jazz-themed party in honor of a favorite musician, or to celebrate jazz in general
For more information visit these websites:
Thank you for joining us in a celebration of this great American art form!
Like Tulsa Jazz on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TulsaJazz1
Follow Tulsa Jazz on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TulsaJazz1
Follow Tulsa Jazz on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tulsajazz
Follow Tulsa Jazz on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tulsajazz
Tulsa Jazz Music Group on ReverbNation: https://www.reverbnation.com/label/tulsajazzmusicgroup
Tulsa Jazz Music Group Website: http://www.tulsajazzmusicgroup.com
Taylor Entertainment Group LLC: https://www.facebook.com/taylorentertainmentgroup